The FitSM Standard
A free standard for lightweight ITSM
FitSM is a free and lightweight standards family aimed at facilitating service management in IT service provision, including federated scenarios. The main goals of FitSM are:
- Create a clear, pragmatic, lightweight and achievable standard that allows for effective IT service management (ITSM).
- Offer a version of ITSM that can cope with federated environments, which often lack the hierarchy and level of control seen in other situations.
- Provide a baseline level of ITSM than can act to support ‘management interoperability’ in federated environments where disparate or competing organisations must cooperate to manage services.
The FitSM family is made up of several documents, providing guidance and input on different aspects of IT service management in Federated ICT infrastructures.
- FitSM-0: Overview and vocabulary
- FitSM-1: Requirements for lightweight IT service management
- FitSM-2: Objectives and activities
- FitSM-3: Role model
- FitSM-4: Selected templates and samples (set of documents under continual development)
- FitSM-5: Selected implementation guides (set of documents under continual development)
- FitSM-6: Maturity / capability model and assessment scheme
All parts and their related documents can be downloaded from the FitSM downloads section free of charge.
Enquiries about the standard and its applicability should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FitSM training and certification by TÜV SÜD
To support its work in building ITSM capacities in federated infrastructures, FedSM offers training and certification in lightweight service management according to FitSM. This training aims at providing those involved in operating federated infrastructures with the professional skills they need in order to effectively manage their services. FitSM professional training is certified by TÜV SÜD, a global leader in standardisation and certification. The qualification programme offers three training levels: Foundation, Advanced and Expert. More information about the qualification programme and the trainings can be found here: FitSM Training
FitSM is compatible with other standards
FitSM is designed to be compatible with the International Standard ISO/IEC 20000-1 (requirements for a service management system) and the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL). Although the FitSM process model, requirements, recommended activities and role model target a lightweight implementation, it can act as a first step to introducing full ITSM, i.e. applying ITIL good practices and / or achieving compliance against ISO/IEC 20000-1.
The FitSM standard and associated certification schemes are maintained by the following comittee.
|LMU||Member, Committee Chair||Thomas Schaaf|